Sunday, November 28, 2010

Gettin' Ready for Christmas!

Christmas time is by far my favorite time of year, but only because no one really decorates for July 4th. Otherwise, I'd be all over that summer-time goodness.

This will be my first Christmas (after 9 years of living here) in New York City, and so I decided that my boyfriend and I needed all the essentials, but wouldn't it be nicer if they were home made? So I set out to make our stockings. So far only mine is complete, but I'll finish his this week. I don't have a sewing machine, so everything was done by hand, and I think I did a pretty good job, if I do say so myself. I've never been any sort of seamstress, much to my mother's dismay, I'm certain, but with a little creativity, I made things easier on myself and completed my stocking out of an old, much abused, much loved t-shirt. My boyfriend's will be made out of the same thing, and thus they will be uniquely us, and anyone of our friends who sees them will recognize that these t-shirts they used to see regularly have finally moved on to a better place.

Without further ado, my stocking!

First I downloaded and printed templates from Marthastewart.com Then I realized that you needed a photocopier to blow up the image 300%, so I made my own pattern. I laid a small boot of mine across the t-shirt and drew around it, modifying here and there until I had something that looked quite stocking-ish.



Then I cut it out. It's not very easy to cut up an old, favorite t-shirt, but I did it without crying. I pinned the cutout side back to the rest of the t-shirt, and I cut out the other side right away to avoid battling nostalgia.



I took all the pins out and then noticed that it had been pinned perfectly for stitching. So I pinned it back up and got my needle and "thread" ready. Knowing that I don't sew well, I figured if I used a GIANT needle (I think it's a crotchet needle?) and ribbon the stocking would still look festive, but it'd take much less time to complete, and my awful stitching would be less noticeable. I was right!





I probably should have used a whip stitch, and I will when I do the second stocking, but mine turned out fine.



Yes. It is hideous. But! It's much better when turned right-side out!



A little loop of ribbon sewn onto the back allows the stocking to hang.

I used Stiffy (he he), a liquid fabric stiffener, to make the folded-over cuff firmer. I've embellished it a bit with felt snowflakes I glued onto the cuff, but I don't have any photos of that. Anyway, happy holidays and happy crafting!!

-Bea

No comments:

Post a Comment