Sunday, January 9, 2011

Apple Blueberry Crumble

Tonight I decided to bake, but I also wanted to attempt something new, so I made my first crumble.

It was so easy and delicious, I knew I had to share it. Whenever I bake apple pies, I just sort of guess with everything, and I did that again tonight, but I'll try to share my creation in terms more accessible for the normal baker.

You'll need:
  • 2 large apples good for baking. I used Granny Smith apples.
  • 2 cups of blueberries
  • 1 frozen pie crust
  • 1 T cinnamon
  • 1 T nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup butter (quartered)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup flour

Preheat that oven to 350 degrees. Get 'er good and hot!
Peel the apples and cut them into thin slices. The thinner the better.

Put the apple slices in a large bowl and cover them with the nutmeg, cinnamon, and sugar. Stir them so they are evenly covered.

Add your blueberries (rinsed and drained) to the bowl and stir them in as well. Thinly slice one quarter of the cup of butter and place the slices along the bottom of your pie crust. Pour apple and blueberry mixture into pie crust on top of butter slices.

For the crumble, simply mix the brown sugar, flour and remaining butter together with your hands (yep, it's messy, but fun) until it...well... get crumbly. If it's not getting crumbly, keep adding flour. Then sprinkle it over your fruit in your pie crust until it completely covered.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 minutes or so before eating. I served it with Bird's Custard (weird, British, delicious thing you make in a saucepan out of a powder and some milk), but it would be equally delicious with vanilla ice cream.
Enjoy!
Bea

No comments:

Post a Comment