Thursday, December 30, 2010

T-Shirt Necklace. I made. I wear!



Once upon a time, The Martha Stewart Show was on basic cable. She was on basic cable and I watched her make a t-shirt necklace with Queen Latifah. I was impressed at this easy, adorable and craving worthy craft. I was then reading Whole Living and saw the instructions for the necklace. I cut out the instructions and taped it into my journal. A year goes by and I see t-shirt necklaces on blogs and on Etsy.

Last week, my favorite polo shirt ripped. I was going to recycle it with OROE in Union Square on Monday but had the brilliant idea to finally make a necklace with it!

What You'll Need-
T-shirt Scissors (or a rotary cutter)
Ruler

Follow the directions on the Whole Living Site (link is above). I used scissors and it went very quickly.

Bunny Tips:

1) I just saw a comment on the site about stretching the loops all together instead of individually. I stretched individually and I have a couple that don't match up. So I recommend stretching all the loops together.
2) It wasn't specific about if you should wrap extra fabric over BOTH ends of the seems. There are seems on each end of necklace. I only did one and it looks fine when I wear it long or doubled.

3) I also thought about making bracelets with the sleeves! It would look cute to wrap up both sides of the seems at the end I think!

4) Why not recycles leftover fabric scraps? If you live in NYC you can bring it to the Office of Recycling Outreach booth at Union Square on Mondays!


2 comments:

  1. Bunny, I love this necklace so much! I'm definitely going to be doing this this weekend! Awesome job. Also, I had no idea about the fabric recycling in Union Square!! Thanks for sharing!
    -Bea

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute! and so sustainable! what a lady...

    ReplyDelete